Main Purpose of the Job
- As the South African SKA Science Regional Centre Lead, you will lead the development of the South African Science Regional Centre (SRC) from concept to an operational facility that meets national and international requirements pertaining to the SKA telescope and respective science. You will also be part of the International SRC Steering Committee and represent the South African interests in this group.
Desirable additional educational, work experience, and personal qualities:
- A Master’s degree in applied sciences, engineering, management, or related inter-disciplinary areas.
- Knowledge of portfolio, program and project management practices
- Knowledge of systems engineering practices
- Knowledge of operations management and related practices
- Knowledge of innovation management and related disciplines, e.g. intellectual property (IP) management.
- Knowledge of IT facility development, management and operations
- ·Experience leading and participating in global scale projects and collaborations in R&D, Human Capital Development, technology and scientific facility development.
- Fully conversant with latest trends in high performance hardware and software architecture and design, with deep expertise in these areas
- Experience in research environment
- Experience in system engineering-driven environment
- Proven track record of project delivery
- Significant technical experience in architecture design and development of large software projects
- Strong ability to lead and motivate technical personnel
- Must have skill and personality to compete strongly on global basis in the scientific computing arena
- Strong presentation and idea transfer skills
About The Employer
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa's activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
As a business unit of the NRF, SARAO is committed to employment equity and redress
Type of employment: Contract
SARAO reserves the right to amend and/or withdraw adverts at any time without notification.