Engineer - Development and Integration (SAIF)
13 April 2021
Industry: Scientific, Research & Development
Job category: Mechanical Engineering
Location: Cape Town
EE position: Yes
iThemba: The South African Laboratories for Accelerator Based Sciences is a multidisciplinary research facility that is based on the development, operation and use of particle accelerators and related research equipment.
iThemba LABS is seeking a development engineer for the South African Isotope Facility (SAIF) project. The Engineer will lead, manage, facilitate, execute and integrate the completion of certain projects on behalf of the company relating to target irradiation systems for medical isotope production. The technical content of the work includes the design, testing and implementation of mechanical & robotic handling systems, a target cooling system, extensive radiation shielding and electronic control systems of the target irradiation stations and the target transportation systems. The Engineer will also manage the manufacturing of components and systems for the target irradiation stations and the target transportation system by various suppliers and subcontractors.
The Engineer will compile and execute project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing requirements. The Engineer will ensure that appropriate resources, procedures, standards and other mechanisms are in place to ensure that project requirements and statutory safety compliance are met efficiently and to the required schedule, cost and quality. The position will also require preparation of bid specifications and tender documentation, as well as partaking in tender processes.
The Engineer will also be responsible for the qualification of production target manufacturing processes and implement suitable quality assurance systems for this purpose. After completion of the development and manufacturing processes of the target irradiation and transport systems, the Engineer will become responsible for the supervision of technicians for operations and maintenance of the target irradiation systems.
- B.Eng / B.Sc in a suitable Engineering discipline (e.g. mechanical, mechatronics, electronics)
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant working knowledge and experience in managing Science and Engineering projects:
- A minimum of 3 years should be in a project environment with specific knowledge/experience in conceptual and detail engineering,
- Proven experience with fine mechanics and electro-mechanical precision mechanisms
- Advanced CAD and CNC manufacturing experience
- Knowledge of project portfolio management, project controls, manufacturing management and supply chain
- Demonstrable capability in setting up compliant processes with a particular focus on Engineering, Procurement and Manufacturing Management
- Demonstrable capability of working in a multidisciplinary project management team.
Desirable Skills and attributes:
- Proven experience with systems engineering and configuration management principles
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Experience in working on science related projects
- Experience in compiling tenders and managing subcontractors
- Experience in working in a multi-disciplinary project environment
- Familiarity with the PFMA and public sector Supply Chain Management processes
- Basic understanding of radiation safety (advantageous)
- Strong track record of successfully completed projects
- Strong change management skills
- Commercial acumen with strong planning and financial management skills
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Management and coordination of projects relating to the design and manufacturing of all target irradiation and transport systems
- Manage all project functions related to project management, project control, engineering management, procurement, manufacturing management to meet project(s) goals
- Identify risks and ensure operational impacts are minimized
- Lead, manage and oversee projects schedules and budgets
- Meeting project deadlines and producing detailed project plans
- Compiling and executing project work plans
- Preparing bid specifications and tender documentation and
- Managing governance and legal compliance.
- Financial Management: Preparing budget forecast for projects
- Responsible for producing all engineering management reports and providing on- going status of the project
Please note that if you have previously applied for this post, you need not reapply.
The NRF is committed to employment equity and redress. Correspondence will be conducted with the shortlisted candidates.